London, UK: People, Politics and Global Health; actions to change the approach (Oct/Nov 11)
Sat, 10/15/2011 to Sat, 11/26/2011
International People’s Health University (IPHU) of the People’s Health Movement (PHM)
A short training course in London, 2011
People, Politics and Global Health; actions to change the approach
PLEASE NOTE REVISED DATES!
Saturday October 29th 9.30-17.00 hrs
Wednesdays November 2nd, 9th, 16th , 23rd , 30th 18.00-20.30 hrs
Saturday December 10th 9.30-17.00 hrs
Participants will be expected to attend all sessions.
The IPHU short courses are intended to enable those concerned about people’s health in a global context to make new connections, share experiences and study together. The emphasis of the course will be on action, and it will include practical techniques and strategies to achieve this. This course will be the third IPHU course held in London.
Who is this for?
- Health practitioners and activists working on public health issues and the underlying determinants of health, from a rights-based approach
- Those already involved in the People’s Health Movement (PHM).
- Applicants should have a university degree or equivalent, and be fluent in English.
- The course is appropriate for those working in primary health care; for public health practitioners; those working within the NGO sector; postgraduate students of public health; those from universities and from government institutions.
- The curriculum includes
- the political economy of health, including globalisation
- partnership approaches and community participation
- advocacy and campaigning
- participatory approaches for working with communities
- health systems and the current threats
- social determinants of health, including environmental change
Approach to learning
Through participatory, theoretical and practical approaches, and from learning from each other we aim to
- heighten awareness of the importance of a developmental approach to health that focuses on social determinants, equity, social justice and the right to health
- provide information on key issues, key documents and strategies
- raise awareness of the need for a long term commitment for change
- build on the experience, knowledge and skills of the participants
- sharpen people’s skills for turning theory into action
- develop the tools and techniques needed to become effective agents for change
- build networks for ongoing action, of people in the room, of key organisations and networks that can sustain each other in the ongoing struggle for health
The course receives no external funding.
The cost for participants who are self financing is £90 for the course, which includes course documents, tea, coffee and lunch on the two Saturdays.
The cost for those sent by NGOs, or for those who wish/are able to make a larger contribution is £250 for the course. This fee will subsidise the participation of others with no affiliation.
The course will be held at:
The Grayston Centre
28 Charles Square
London N1 6HT
How to apply
Please complete the application form here. Return it as an attached document to [email protected]
Please contact [email protected] for any queries regarding the application
The deadline for receiving applications is 14th October 2011. However, if there are still places, late applications will be considered.
All applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application.
- For inquiries please contact the UK PHM at [email protected]
- For more about the IPHU, including past courses and the reports of the last two courses held in London (including a video of the 2010 course), please go to http://www.iphu.org/en/courses